1. (a) Competitors must at all times comply with the North Canterbury Fish & Game Council Rules
current at the time of the Competition as held at the Official Weigh-In Station and certified by Rakaia
River Fishing Promotions Inc., except where rules 2 & 3 blow override these rules. All Competitors
should hold a valid NZF&GC Licence. By law this must be carried with you at all times.
(b) Senior Competitors must be 16 and over on 1st October 2017 and Junior Competitors must
be 15 and under on 1st October 2017. Please Note due to the change in licence categories by Fish
& Game, some Junior fishing licence holders will be Senior Competitors.
(c) Application to compete must be accompanied by the entry fee of $85 Senior or $15 Junior
and be received by or postmarked no later than 5pm on Friday 16th February 2018. Entries are
limited to 750 Senior and 150 Junior.
The Committee cannot be held responsible for any lost entries.
If you do not receive your receipt within 14 days please phone (03) 302 7451.
The Committee reserves the right to close entries prior to, or accept entries after, the official date.
These decisions will be made at their discretion.
2. NO FISHING is permitted up river of the NZF&GC white posts below Lake Coleridge, or at Tentburn.
3. No fishing from boats is permitted east of a straight line drawn across the narrowest point at the
River mouth or mouths.
4. All fish must be caught in the Rakaia River, which includes the surf for 500 meters either side of
the river mouth.
5. Only registered Competitors can submit fish for weighing. Fish must be caught by and presented
for weighing by the Competitor personally.
NOTE: No Salmon will be accepted under 400mm in length.
6. At weigh-in Competitors will be required to produce their FISHING LICENCE, Entrant ID card and
to sign a declaration stating the time of catch, that the fish was caught in accordance with the
rules of the Competition, and agreement of the weight recorded.
7. Fish must be whole (NOT GUTTED). Fish with net marks, foul hooking marks, deterioration or
frozen will not be accepted. After weighing, the fish must be gutted for inspection. The Committee
reserves the right to retain any fish for the duration of the Competition.
8. The official weigh-in station is the kitchen area of the Rakaia Community Centre. NO fish are to be
taken into the hall. Please come to the area opposite the old Post Office. Hours are Friday and
Saturday 10am to 9pm and Sunday 9am to 11.30am. No fish may be presented outside these
times. Records will close for presentation of fish at 8pm daily. Fish presented after this time will be
included into the next day’s records. The Committee reserves the right to extend the daily time for
presentation of fish to 9.30pm when river conditions cause the abandonment of the next day’s
fishing. This will enable all fish caught to be recorded. This decision to be made at 8pm on each
9. At the conclusion of the Competition, a Prize Presentation will be held at the Community Hall at
1pm. If fishing is cancelled on the Sunday, the Prize Presentation will be held at 12 noon.
10. (a) In the event of a tie for any prizes awarded on weight, a draw will be made. The loser of such
a draw will receive the next prize on the list, and neither party needs to be present to claim their
prize in this draw.
(b) Daily Drawn Prizes i.e. Spot Prizes, Superdraws, Lucky Draws and Lucky Weights are open
to all Senior Competitors present at the Social Functions each evening from 7.30pm. This will
include Heaviest Salmon Daily from any day that is declared unfishable. To be eligible to claim a
Drawn Prize, Competitors must be present at the time of the Draw.
(c) One prize per person per Draw or Category per day.
11. Trout Competition
(a) Trout prizes are open to all Senior Competitors
(b) The Brown Trout Research Programme:
Tagged & Marked Trout: – Brown trout, which are identified by tags or marked by the partial
removal of the adipose fin, will NOT be accepted for weigh in. Please note the change here.
(c) No Trout will be accepted under 300mm in length.
12. Lucky Drawn Prize winners may be required to answer a simple question.
13. Any protests must be in writing and delivered to the Secretary prior to 1pm on Sunday 25th
February 2018. The decision of the Committee shall be binding. Provided that, in the event of the
Committee determining at any time after that fixed for lodging of protest, that a serious breach of the
has occurred, it may, at its discretion, reclaim and re-award any prize.
14. Official Entrant Numbered ID Cards or Visitor Passes must be displayed at all times while in the
Social Area. If they are not visible you will be asked to produce them. Failure to comply with this rule
may result in persons being asked to leave the venue. Extra Visitor Passes are available at $5 per
person per evening.
15. Rakaia River Fishing Promotions Inc. have sponsored this Competition in the interest of all who
enjoy salmon fishing in the Rakaia River. Jet boaters are asked to observe normal fishing
etiquette and recognise the rules of the river. They are also asked to pay the ramp fee at the Rakaia
Huts, as this is a private ramp.
16. (a) Junior Competitors must also abide by these rules. Rules 10 and 11 excepted.
(b) Junior Competitors must be present at the Final Prize Presentation to claim any Drawn Prize.
Prizes won in the Heaviest Overall Categories will automatically be awarded to the successful
(c) Junior Competitors must be able to provide proof of age, if requested.
17. Prizes are not redeemable for cash, firearms, ammunition or alcohol. Prizes that have been
presented in voucher form are not transferable.
18. All Competitors enter this Competition at their own risk. The organisers of this competition shall
have no liability to any competitor for loss, damage or injury arising out of the competition howso
19. In the event of the river being declared unfishable by the Committee, alternative entertainment may
be arranged. Nightly Social Functions will continue with all Heaviest Fish Prizes for that day being
declared Drawn Prizes.
20. In the event of insufficient entries being received to make the Competition viable, entry fees will be
refunded. Such a decision will be made prior to Friday 23rd February 2018.
21. Any breach of the above rules will result in disqualification from the Competition and the
Committee may bring action for any infringement whether civil or criminal.
22. This Competition is organised and administered by Rakaia River Fishing Promotions Inc. and all
under the Competition arise with and are enforced by that society.
23. Full prize list published on the web site (www.rakaiasalmon.co.nz) in March 2018.